Deputy General Counsel, Consumer & Business Banking
The Deputy General Counsel, Consumer and Business Banking is responsible for providing legal counsel to senior management and business partners on issues related to consumer and business banking deposit and lending products and services. S/he acts as a trusted advisor to business partners and provides advice on legal and reputational risks and regulatory issues. S/he effectively manages and oversees outside law firms to provide cost-effective legal services and manages other attorneys and legal professionals. S/he engages in the following activities on a daily basis:
- Advises on legal obligations and compliance issues related to consumer and business deposit and lending products and services.
- Advises on legal and reputational risk issues and takes an active role in managing interactions with regulators.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders, compliance and risk partners on implementation of processes to effectively manage legal obligations and compliance issues.
- Determines the need for, builds and maintains relationships with, and oversees the engagement of external counsel.
- Establishes legal standards and provides advice to the company, up to and including the senior management level, regarding legal issues impacting applicable business segments.
- Performs a wide variety of complex or specialized legal activities to protect the organization's reputation and business interests and helps ensure it complies with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Bachelor's Degree; Law / J.D. degree, and licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one jurisdiction, preferably New York, New Jersey and/or Massachusetts.
- 10-15 years of experience practicing law in the financial services industry, bank, and/or a law firm.
- Strong understanding of applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong organizational leadership experience.
- Superior oral and written communication skills and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong ability to collaborate with and garner support from key stakeholders and staff on a variety of corporate initiatives.
- Ability to manage a team of lawyers and legal professionals and develop a high-performing and engaged team.
- Ability to train and mentor others.
- Ability to use good judgment and common sense when interacting with outside and inside contacts and performing job functions.
- Excellent drafting and contract negotiation skills.
- Possesses gravitas, judgment and self-confidence but always shows respect for others, regardless of position, and desires to work as a team member with all levels of management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Technology skills sufficient to operate successfully in an organizational environment committed to elimination of paper files and hard document storage.
- Brings out the best in each team member by consistently motivating and acknowledging peer contributions.
- Understands and leverages team dynamics.
- Effectively conveys difficult or complex information in an easy to understand manner, by providing the big picture and illustrating important linkages.
- Asks open-ended questions that encourage others to give their points of view.
- Ensures that all direct reports and colleagues have appropriate knowledge of risk and the regulatory environment.
- Investigates and identifies the root cause and corrects items deemed non-compliant, regardless of pressures from business or management.
- Fully accountable for timeliness, completeness and quality of projects.
- Remains calm and focused on goals while facing pressures, obstacles or short-term setbacks.
- Improves relationships between key individuals to achieve seamless cross-team work flow and positively impact results.
- Keeps up-to-date with industry developments, external market events, pressures and regulations which may impact the organization and assesses whether similar issues exist in the organization.
- Can identify functional and organizational implications associated with major trends.
- Designs solutions to address industry developments that impact the organization.
- Looks for creative approaches to providing or improving services that may increase efficiency and decrease cost.
- Applies client/customer feedback toward improving and innovating services.
- Persists in searching out the root causes of major problems rather than being satisfied with partial solutions or “quick fixes”.
- Brings new thinking, insights or technology to problem resolution.
- Personally follows-up with others to check on progress, uncover problems, and identify areas where assistance is necessary.
- Takes initiative to act on new information and preemptively develops options and plans of actions.
- Reformulates the problem in different ways to evaluate it from different angles.
- Takes responsibility for and deals effectively with complex and sensitive customer issues and complaints.
- Anticipates client/customer needs and proactively makes recommendations.
Primary Location:Massachusetts-BOSTON-75 State Street - 06366 - State Street-Corp
Other Locations:New Jersey-Florham Park-200 Park Avenue - 06400 - Florham Park, New York-New York-200 Liberty Street - 06488 - Liberty Street
Organization:Legal & Corp. Affairs (8830)
Job Posting:Sep 18, 2019, 7:41:38 PM
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/Vet/Disabled/SO