Sr. Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management, Florham Park, NJ
Sr. Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management, Florham Park, NJ-1904912
As a member of Santander’s retail banking division you’ll help serve Santander’s retail and small business customers as part of one of the top banks in the United States based on deposits. With principal presence in the northeast U.S., Santander’s retail division offers consumer and lending products to help our customers reach their financial goals. Santander currently serves nearly 2 million retail customers and 5.2% of the 2.7 million small businesses in the US footprint have a transactional account with Santander Bank.
The Sr. Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management focuses on support to commercial lending teams. The incumbent provides expertise in underwriting, structuring, servicing and documenting new and renewal credits. In addition, s/he is responsible for identifying, gathering and analyzing relevant information to assess credit risk, establish viability of sources of repayment and determine appropriate loan structures.
Acts as lead underwriter in collaboration with bankers in preparing credit approval memos with recommendations consistent with bank policy that illustrate well-reasoned analysis. The Sr. Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management performs servicing reviews and supports management of the assigned portfolio to identify and minimize risk to the organization. Provides quality customer service, including participation in joint calls on customers, as needed.
- Assists in special projects as assigned.
- Ensures financial statements are spread and analyzed, addressing industry risks, monitoring collateral requirements, loan structuring and pricing, credit analysis, monitoring credit performance and assisting with loan presentations.
- Expands and builds relationships with a high degree of resultant customer satisfaction.
- Handles reporting on loans such as past dues, documentation and collateral exceptions, financial performance updates, portfolio profitability, risk grades, etc.
- Keeps informed of financial and market trends in the portfolio and analyzes those trends for the effect they will have on the portfolio.
- Manages and services a portfolio of existing loan relationships.
- Bachelor's Degree; in Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or equivalent field.
- 9-12 years; Financial analysis, structuring, underwriting and portfolio management. [
- Completion of bank-certified course in Credit Training.
- Comfortable in customer contact situations including escalations and potential work-out/loan restructure environments
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial modeling and able to structure credit in modeling environment.
- Able to assist RM's on how to structure the credit relationship.
- Demonstrated practical and conceptual knowledge of credit and risk analysis.
- Exhibits competency at independently reaching conclusions and forms clear view of credit structure and business risk to organization.
- Knowledge of Federal banking regulations.
- Must demonstrate strong judgment and sound credit skills,Proficiency with computer systems.
- Skilled in proposing and negotiating and recommending credit and covenant structures.
- Solid knowledge of loan and related legal documents.
- Solid understanding of industry nuances applicable to the credits contained within the group's portfolio.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to influence others by persuasively presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment and agreement for proposed ideas and solutions.
- Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
- Brings out the best in each team member by consistently motivating and acknowledging peer contributions.
- Understands and leverages team dynamics.
- Ensures required resources and skills are in place to maintain smooth day-to-day operations and tackle arising problems.
- Ensures that all directs and colleagues have appropriate knowledge of risk and the regulatory environment.
- Investigates and identifies the root cause and corrects items deemed non-compliant, regardless of pressures from business or management.
- Fully accountable for timeliness, completeness, quality of projects, processes, products and services.
- Remains calm and focused on goals while facing pressures, obstacles or short-term setbacks.
- Improves relationships between key individuals to achieve seamless cross-team work flow and positively impact results.
- Uses informal networks to gain support for ideas and projects.
- Keeps up -to-date with external market events, pressures and regulations which may impact the organization and assesses whether similar issues exist in the organization.
- Can identify functional and organizational implications associated with major trends.
- Designs solutions to address industry activities that impact the organization.
- Reformulates the problem in different ways to evaluate it from different angles.
- Stays up-to-date with needs, preferences, trends and practices which impact customers.
- Acts as a role model by being a source of advice and knowledge regarding customer issues.
- Takes responsibility for and deals effectively with complex and sensitive customer issues and complaints.
- Anticipates customer needs and proactively makes recommendations.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply
Primary Location:New Jersey-Florham Park-200 Park Avenue - 06400 - Florham Park
Organization:Consumer & Business Banking (1001)
Job Posting:Nov 21, 2019, 6:52:34 PM
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/Vet/Disabled/SO